Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall...almost.

Although the weather is changing back to the 80's again around here - we can't help from celebrating the arrival of Fall and saying goodbye to hot, sticky Summer.

Matt and I were married four years ago in October. We wanted a nice Fall weather wedding...what we got was 90 degrees and super humidity! But that's okay because each year, we never know what weather we will have to celebrate our wedded bliss...this year, it was perfect. We decided to take the kids to the park for a picnic - a nice way to celebrate an Anniversary and enjoy an end of summer trip to the park.




Madelyn and I have been getting creative in our Fall art work - with the help of a fellow blogger, of course! The first project we did was apple stamping -

Madelyn, concentrating on painting an apple.

The materials.

The finished product.

We've been busy with the paints. But I think the most exciting thing that has happened around our house lately was the arrival (and departure) of Chi-Chi....

I had just returned home from our local Mother of Twins Club Sale - looking forward to an empty house that I could quickly clean while Matt had the kids at a birthday party. When I got home, I realized I was locked out of the house! Normally, I would have been angry about this. But one of the things I've been working on is to appreciate each moment for what it is....hmm, how does one appreciate being locked out of the house? Well, I decided to weed the front yard. 

While doing so, I spotted a caterpillar hanging upside down from a leaf. From my years as a Montessori Teacher, I knew this meant the caterpillar would soon be a cocoon...I couldn't wait to share it with Madelyn. 


When she got home, I showed her the caterpillar and told her what would soon happen. She looked at me like I was crazy. She knows a caterpillar turns into a butterfly but how abstract is that for a 3 year old?! I asked her if she wanted to create a home for the caterpillar and bring him inside...she quickly said yes and set to finding all of our supplies. After getting him settled in, she decided to call him Chi-Chi. 

I'm not sure who was more excited the next morning when we woke up and saw that Chi-Chi had formed his cocoon and was tucked safe inside. Mads still seemed a little confused. Chi-Chi stayed in his cocoon for a couple of weeks but each morning, Madelyn would walk by him and say "Good morning Chi-Chi!"


Finally, it happened. We came home from work and school and there was Chi-Chi once again but this time, a beautiful butterfly. Mads watched him for a bit then said, "Mommy, let's let him fly." So, we took him outside..after a few seconds without a screen blocking his way - Chi-Chi flew off and Madelyn yelled, "Bye Bye Chi-Chi, have fun at your new home!"




I wish I would have been quicker with my camera to catch the look on Mads' face as Chi-Chi flew away - pure joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment