Sunday, April 24, 2011

In the weeds

Throughout my college days, and many days after, I worked as a server, bartender, and eventually manager of a restaurant. I spent many days and nights at said restaurant, if not serving than eating and drinking. In fact, it's the place I met many people that remain important to me in my life, including my husband.

For those of you that have worked in the restaurant world, you may understand what it means to say, "I'm in the weeds!" Or you may not, I'm not sure if it was something we came up with or if it's well known throughout the restaurant industry. It's when you are super busy, a fellow server desperately looking for help may say, "Are you busy?"  to which you respond, "I'm in the weeds!" because you can't quite see your way out of the busyness.

Five years later, I find myself using this phrase yet again...although, this time it has nothing to do with serving or bartending.

While serving, when you are"in the weeds" your train of thought may be something like this...

"Table 5 needs ketchup. Refill waters at 6. Hostess just sat 4 at 3. Kitchen is out of rice. I really need to pee. Table 7 is staring at me like they need something. 2 needs more cokes. I forgot to eat dinner and this food looks good. Table 4 needs napkins. Etc...etc."

While mothering 2 month old twins and an almost 3 year old, your train of thought may be something like this...

"Madelyn wants cereal: Life cereal with no milk. Henry is hungry, wait, no that's Clara. Feed both babies. Change Henry. Help Madelyn sit on potty. Change Clara. Put Henry down for nap, followed by Clara. Wash bottles. Make pitcher of formula. Start load of laundry. Build puzzle with Madelyn. Get Henry before he wakes up Clara. I really need to pee. Change Henry. Breathe. Change Clara. Need to make bottles to prepare for rest of day/night. Fold laundry. I forgot to eat lunch and these cheerios look good. Feed babies. Give Madelyn snack. Breathe. Etc...etc."

So, if a fellow mother were to ask me, "Are you busy?" I would most certainly respond with...

"I'm in the weeds."

...and I can't quite see my way out of the busyness.

1 comment:

  1. With just one I would say that I am "In the weeds" on a regular basis...I can only imagine how tall your weeds must be three! Let me know whenever you need some help mowing I would be more than happy to do what I can :)

    ReplyDelete